- Deputy Director
Mikael Syväjärvi has an entrepreneurial research focus and explores advanced materials concepts. He is active with several spin off companies. He is very active to promote regional and national growth in advanced materials by the translation from research to industry and market.
Mikael Syväjärvi received his MSc degree in Applied Physics and Electrical Engineering 1995, and PhD in Materials Science 1999. His research area is in energy materials and devices. His growth experience is in liquid phase epitaxy, seeded sublimation bulk growth and sublimation epitaxy of silicon carbide, as well as graphene and carbon allotropes on silicon carbide. The aim of the materials is for optoelectronics in white LEDs, highly efficient and high temperature photovoltaics, thermoelectrics, hydrogen generation by solar driven water splitting, as well as sensors and biofuels cells. Mikael Syväjärvi has an entrepreneurial research profile in commercialization of materials and has founded spin off companies based on growth methods developed in relation to his research interest.
The present activities are focused on growth of fluorescent silicon carbide for white light emitting diodes in general lighting, cubic silicon carbide as potential solar cell material and for hydrogen generation by water splitting, bulk growth of cubic silicon carbide, and carbon allotropes on silicon carbide for new electrode functions for energy applications.
Commercialization of research and spin-off companies:
- - El Seed Coporation Ltd (technology transfer, shareholder).
- - Graphensic AB (co-founder), www.graphensic.com
- - ALMINICA AB (founder), www.alminica.com
Commission of trust:
- - Member of Advanced Materials working group in Smart Specialization Östergötland for preparing the regional strategy in advanced materials which was done in 2014.
- - Member of steering board Strategic Innovation Program for Graphene 2014/2015; 2015/2016; ; 2016/2017
- - Member of working group National Technology Platform Graphene (Nationell Påverkansplattform Grafen) 2015-2016.
- - Engaged as S3 Materials Expert in Smart Specialization 2015-2016 in Östergötland region.
- - Engaged as Materials Expert in Strategic Innovation Program for Graphene on project “Made for Sweden” 2015-2016.
- - Co-director Vinoba Bhave Research Institute (India).
- - Member of executive board International Association of Advanced Materials (main office Linköping, Sweden).
- - Carl Tryggers Stiftelse “High quality SiC films for high frequency devices”, 2006-2007.
- - Ångpanneföreningen Research Foundation “Cubic SiC for energy efficient power and optoelectronics” 2008-2012.
- - Ångpanneföreningen Research Foundation “A new white LED for general lighting” 2009-2012.
- - Richerts Foundation “A new white LED for general lighting” 2009-2012.
- - Swedish Energy Agency “Cubic SiC for white LEDs” 2009-2011.
- - Nordic Energy Research: “Northern Light Emitting Diode Initiative” 2010-2012; NORLED (www.ifm.liu.se/norled) funded by Nordic Energy Research. Initiated the network and Coordinator of the project with 11 partners from four countries. The project was selected as one of four from 51 applications.
- - Swedish Research Council “Flourescent Silicon Carbide for white light emitting diodes” 2010-2012.
- - Swedish Energy Agency “Cubic silicon carbide as a new photovoltaic and light emitting material”, 2014-2016.
- - Swedish Governmental Agency for Innovation Systems ”Cubic silicon carbide
as a new solar cell material”, 2013-2015.
- - Swedish Research Council “Bulk growth of 3C-SiC” 2015-2018.
- - Swedish Research Council – strong research environment in energy “Stimuli-enabled energy materials for smart bioelectronic devices” 2017-2022; Co-PI in growth; Main PI: Rajeev Ahuja
- - EU project CHALLENGE (H2020-EU.2.1.3. - INDUSTRIAL LEADERSHIP - Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies - Advanced materials) 2017-2020.
International involvement as collaboration PI in growth of SiC:
- - New-Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization, Japan, “Development of white LED by substrate technology” 6 MSEK 2010-2011. Coordinator Satoshi Kamiyama, El Seed Corp.
- - Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, Meijo University (Japan), Linköping University (Sweden), Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (USA), Coordinator Satoshi Kamiyama, Meijo University.
- - Research Council of Norway, EnergyX programme, “Efficient Exploitation of the Sun with Intermediate Band Silicon Carbide (SunSiC)”, 2014-2017.
- - Innovation Fund Denmark, “A new type of white light-emitting diode using fluorescent silicon carbide (LEDSiC)“ 2015-2018
Invited talks and seminars:
- Invited lecture on Summer School “SiC and GaN: materials for power- and optoelectronics”, Cottbus, Germany – “SiC vapor phase epitaxy – near distance methods”, Sep 3-14, 2001.
- Invited lecture; “SiC growth by sublimation” at tutorial session of the European Conference on SiC and Related Materials, Bologna, Italy, Aug 31 – Sep 4, 2004.
- Invited talk; “Nucleation of 3C in sublimation growth on hexagonal SiC substrates”, second International Workshop on the Hetero-epitaxial growth of 3C-SiC, Grenoble, France, June 27-29, 2007.
- Invited talk; “Fabrication and Challenges of New Electronic Materials: Graphene - a High Speed Candidate”, The 10th Swedish System-on-Chip Conference (SSoCC), Vildmarkshotellet, Kolmården, Sweden, May 3-4, 2010.
- Invited talk; “Fluorescent SiC as new material for white LEDs”, Nordic Semiconductor Meeting, Fuglsøcentret, Denmark, June 19-22, 2011.
- Invited talk; “Growth and light properties of fluorescent SiC for white LEDs”, International Conference on Silicon Carbide and Related Materials
- (ICSCRM), Cleveland, Ohio, USA, Sep 11-16, 2011.
- Invited talk; “Fluorescent SiC for energy and environment”, annual Bulk Semiconductor Crystal Growth workshop arranged by German Crystal Growth Association, Erlangen Oct 5-6, Germany, 2011.
- Invited talk: “Entrepreneurial prospectives on graphene and novel materials for new electronics”, The 13th Swedish System-on-Chip Conference SSoCC14, Vadstena, Sweden May 12-13, 2014.
- Invited talk: “Graphene and silicon carbide as innovative materials” in session “The 10 Year Track. Materials: The Backbone of Industrial Innovation”. Clean Tech Forum Europe 2014, Stockholm May 19-21, 2014.
- Invited talk: “High temperature epitaxial growth of graphene and SiC”, E-MRS 2014, May 26-30, 2014, Lille, France.
- Invited talk: “The cubic sublimation method: prospects for bulk 3C-SiC growth and photovoltaic applications”, 6th International Workshop on Crystal Growth Technology (IWCGT-6) in Berlin, June 15-19, 2014.
- Invited talk: “Fluorescent SiC for white light-emitting diodes”, Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS) 2014, Guangzhou (Canton), China, Aug 25-28 (2014).
- Plenary talk: “Advanced energy and environmental materials concepts from silicon carbide and graphene”; Smart Materials and Surfaces - SMS Bangkok 2014; Bangkok Aug 26-28, 2014.
- Invited talk: “Introduction to Cubic Silicon Carbide: from epitaxy to bulk growth”; New Applications of Cubic Silicon Carbide (NACSIC) workshop, Oslo, May 28-29, 2015
- Invited talk: “Silicon carbide as platform for energy applications”; Advanced Materials World Congress (AMWC) 2015, Stockholm, Aug 23-26, 2015.
- Invited talk: “New approaches of cubic silicon carbide for solar driven energy applications”, Euro-Mediterranean Conference on Materials and Renewable Energies, Marrakech, Morocco, Nov 2-6, 2015.
- Invited lecture “The old matter of new energy materials” Materials Weekend, tutorial organized by E-MRS Fall Meeting 2015 and FEMS EUROMAT 2015, Warzaw Sep 19-20, 2015.
- Invited talk “Ceramic SiC as source in growth of energy materials for new white LEDs and solar cell concepts” at workshop on "Advanced Ceramics and Composites: Experiments, Modelling and Manufacture", Loughborough University, UK, Sep 21, 2015.
- Invited lecture: “Silicon carbide and carbon materials for new energy applications”, 4th International Conference on Advanced Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology (ICANN2015), Dec 8-11, 2015, Guwahati-Assam, India.
- Invited talk: “Aspects on ceramics for novel growth approaches in silicon carbide”, The 40th International Conference & Exposition on Advanced Ceramics & Composites (ICACC), American Ceramic Society, Jan 24-29, 2016, Daytona Beach, FL, USA.
- Invited talk: “Energy conversion using cubic silicon carbide and graphene based material concepts”, International Conference on Materials Science & Technology (ICMTech), 01 - 04 March, 2016, Conference Centre, University of Delhi, India.
- Plenary talk: “New challenges and opportunities in application of SiC and graphene”, The 4th International Conference on Competitive Materials and Technology Processes (ic-cmtp4), October 3-7, 2016, Miskolc-Lillafüred, Hungary.
- - Co-organizer Winter School 2010 PAM3: “SiC epitaxial growth: from thin layers to bulk material”, Jan 25-29, 2010
- - Co-organizer of session “New Lighting – New LEDs” at Energitinget March 16-17, 2010.
- - Co-organizer of session “Engineering of wide bandgap semiconductor materials for energy saving” in the first Bilateral Energy Conference as back-to-back event of the E-MRS/IUMRS ICAM Spring Meeting May 9-13, 2011.
- - Subcommittee program member in symposium “LEDS, Photovoltaics and Energy-Efficient (“Green”) Photonics” CLEO 2012 meeting, May 6-12, 2012 in San Jose, CA, USA.
- - Co-organizer of session “Alternative approaches of SiC and related wide bandgap materials in light emitting and solar cell applications” at E-MRS Spring Meeting May 27-31, 2013.
- - Subcommittee program member in symposium “LEDS, Photovoltaics and Energy-Efficient (“Green”) Photonics” CLEO 2013 meeting, June 9-14, 2013 in San Jose, CA, USA.
- - Subcommittee program member in symposium “LEDS, Photovoltaics and Energy-Efficient (“Green”) Photonics” CLEO 2014 meeting, June 8-13, 2013 in San Jose, CA, USA.
- - International Steering committee member, SMS Bangkok 2014, SETCOR International Conference on Smart Materials and Surfaces, Bangkok Aug 26-28, 2014.
- - Co-organizer of European Graphene Forum, Stockholm, Sweden, Aug 23-25, 2015
- - Member of advisory board for International conference on Materials Science & Technology (ICMTech – 2016, Conference Centre, University of Delhi, Delhi, India, March 1-4, 2016.Co-organizer of symposium Smart energy technologies (parallel symposium to ICMTech-2016), Delhi, India, March 1-4, 2016
- - Co-organizer of Global Graphene Forum, Stockholm, Sweden, Aug 23-25, 2016.
- - Co-organizer of American Graphene Forum, Miami, USA, Dec 4-9, 2016.
- - Co-organizer of NACSiC II (New Applications of Cubic SiC) workshop December 14-15, 2016.
- - Editor Advanced Materials Proceedings (VBRI Press) from January 2017.
- - Co-organizer of Asian Graphene Forum, Singapore, March 11-16, 2017.
- - Main organizer of symposium “Wide bandgap semiconductors for LEDs, solar and related energy technologies” at E-MRS Spring Meeting 2017.
- - Co-organizer of Global Graphene Forum, Stockholm, Sweden, Aug 23-25, 2017.